NA Celicas
NACelicas has now merged into Garage-X.org so for all the Toyota Celica info you were looking for, please check out the Toyota section on Garage-X.org.

Thanks,
Jamie
Garage-X.org
NA Celicas
NACelicas has now merged into Garage-X.org so for all the Toyota Celica info you were looking for, please check out the Toyota section on Garage-X.org.

Thanks,
Jamie
Garage-X.org
NA Celicas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NA Celicas

Dedicated To The FWD Naturally Aspirated Toyota Celica's With The 3SGE, 5SFE, 3SFE And The 4AFE - Including Turbo And 4WS Models

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
marpate1
Idling (750RPM)
Idling (750RPM)

ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning Empty
PostSubject: ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning   ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:22 am

Hi all,

I'm slowly working my way through a list of issues Rolling Eyes with the car and whilst having just waterproofed the roof and the result being much better than before I feel that the roof itself is too slack on top. The rear panel with the window has sufficient tension, but the top sags and collects water (although only a little).

So the question that I have is what is involved in tensioning the rest of the roof - presumably I would need to take up the slack where it rolls over the frame at the front, but I've not been brave enough to look at how yet?

Any hints, tips or links welcome!

cheers
Mark
Back to top Go down
Celica_XR9145
Admin
Admin
Celica_XR9145

PostSubject: Re: ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning   ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Hmm, i've have never a Celica convertible roof up close.

Usually, there are clips where it rolls over the frame that you can undo to tension it.

Are there any clips there?
Back to top Go down
https://nacelicas.darkbb.com
3Spower
Moving Up The Rev Band (3500RPM)
Moving Up The Rev Band (3500RPM)
3Spower

PostSubject: Re: ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning   ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 pm

On my boss's old convertible, he had to have his repaired by an upholsterer. Then again, his was really saggy.
Back to top Go down
marpate1
Idling (750RPM)
Idling (750RPM)

PostSubject: Re: ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning   ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Well, I had a go last night. The roof covering is rolled over the front edge of the hood frame, glued in place and then covered with black metal trim. So, it's really quite a simple job of stripping the cover from the frame, trimming and cleaning everything up before reinstalling with contact adhesive. The roof is now pretty tight and fortunately we have enough rain in the UK at the moment to thoroughly test it Very Happy

I will need to get a replacement hood at some stage .... but does anyone know if a hard top is an option on these and where to find such a beast?

Cheers,
Mark
Back to top Go down
Celica_XR9145
Admin
Admin
Celica_XR9145

PostSubject: Re: ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning   ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:30 am

Well done, so an easy job then Cool

Have never seen a hardtop for the Celica before though, would be a good idea though!

I would imagine it would be a custom fiberglass job though Sad
Back to top Go down
https://nacelicas.darkbb.com
marpate1
Idling (750RPM)
Idling (750RPM)

PostSubject: Re: ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning   ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:32 am

Celica_XR9145 wrote:
Well done, so an easy job then Cool

Have never seen a hardtop for the Celica before though, would be a good idea though!

I would imagine it would be a custom fiberglass job though Sad

lol ... more complex than I had hoped (like, why glue rather than clamp). But, never mind Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning   ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ST183(C) Convertible Hood Tensioning
Page 1 of 1