NA Celicas
NACelicas has now merged into Garage-X.org so for all the Toyota Celica info you were looking for, please check out the Toyota section on Garage-X.org.

Thanks,
Jamie
Garage-X.org
NA Celicas
NACelicas has now merged into Garage-X.org so for all the Toyota Celica info you were looking for, please check out the Toyota section on Garage-X.org.

Thanks,
Jamie
Garage-X.org
NA Celicas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NA Celicas

Dedicated To The FWD Naturally Aspirated Toyota Celica's With The 3SGE, 5SFE, 3SFE And The 4AFE - Including Turbo And 4WS Models

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

7th Gen Info

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Celica_XR9145
Admin
Admin
Celica_XR9145

7th Gen Info Empty
PostSubject: 7th Gen Info   7th Gen Info I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:43 am

In late 1999, Toyota began production and sales of the seventh generation Celica. It closely resembled the XYR concept with the exception of the front bumper and rear spoiler. The 2000 model year Celica was an element of Toyota Project Genesis, an effort to bring younger buyers to the marque in the United States. Toyota wanted to appeal to the same buyers of the Acura Intregra and Honda Civic.

The Celica came in two different models. The ZZT230 was powered by a relatively economical 1.8 L 4-cylinder 140 hp (104 kW) 1ZZ-FE engine and the ZZT231 powered by a higher-performance 1.8 L 4-cylinder 191 hp (142 kW) (in Europe and Japan) 2ZZ-GE version, co-developed with Yamaha, the latter featuring a two-step variable valve lift control in conjunction with its variable valve timing. In 2004, CNNMoney.com rated the Celica as one of the best cars to purchase for gas mileage. [1]

North America
In the USA and Canada, two models were offered; the base model with 1ZZ-FE engine is called GT and the higher performance model with 2ZZ-GE engine is GT-S. The 1ZZ-FE was also offered in the Corolla, Matrix, and MR2 Spyder. It was rated at 140bhp@6400 rpm and 125 lb-ft torque@4200 RPMs. It uses Toyota VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence) system which changed the phase timing of intake and exhaust valves to increase torque and horsepower throughout the rev range. The GT-S had a more extensive and advanced system called VVTL-i (Variable Valve Timing and Lift with Intelligence), which is similar to the VVT-i except until 6100 rpm, when maximum intake valve lift is increased to provide more power at higher RPMs. The GTS was rated 180 bhp@7600 RPMs and 133 lb-ft torque@6800 RPMs. The VVTL-i was more advanced than Honda's VTEC system as it offered variable phase timing that Honda had yet to release (i-VTEC). The GT was available in both a 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic and the GT-S was available with a close-ratio 6-speed manual and a 4-speed manually shiftable torque converter automatic by Tiptronic. Slightly detuned variants of the 2ZZ-GE engine were later offered on Toyota's XRS trim models of the Corolla and Matrix, but the engine was unfortunately never offered in the MR2 Spyder. Toyota Racing Division (TRD) offered an exhaust that gave a 14 bhp increase to the GT-S, albeit mostly at higher RPM's. Interestingly, they later offered a supercharger but for the GT only, as the 2ZZ-GE's higher compression ratio likely made it difficult to accommodate forced induction.

On the 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004 GT-S models, the rev limiter is set to 8400RPM while the 2002 and 2005 have it set to 7800 (The RHD Celicas did not incur the reduction in the redline RPM). This difference results in a big hit to performance as the 2ZZ is primarily a high-revving engine, and also making it much more difficult to land in the 'lift' (aggressive cam) rev range on an upshift.[citation needed]. For 2003, minor updates were made to the car. The interior was mildly restyled, power antennae replaced the fixed one, the front and rear fascias were redone, and a fly-by-wire throttle was utilized (which incidentally make it more difficult to adapt an aftermarket ECU to the vehicle). In 2004, all models were fitted with a cabin air filter.

In July 2004, Toyota announced the Celica (as well as the MR2) would be discontinued in the United States at the end of the 2005 model year due to lack of sales. [2] Celica sales hit 52,406 units in 2001, but dropped sharply to 14,856 in 2003. Just 8,710 Celicas were sold in 2004, and only 3,113 were sold in 2005. The sports coupe market, in general, was rapidly shrinking. The Subaru XT6, Nissan 240SX, Honda Prelude, and Mazda MX-6 were already gone and the Acura RSX was soon to follow. Some attribute the 2004 loss in sales to the introduction of the cheaper stablemate Scion tC. The tC was inferior in quality of materials, performance, and fuel economy but offered more features for the money. With the U.S. economy in a slump, the lower price tag won at the end.

Japan
Japanese models continued to carry SS-I and SS-II trim levels. The SS-I is powered by 1ZZ-FE engine, SS-II comes with 2ZZ-GE engine. The SS-II also can be ordered with Super Strut Package with super strut suspension, rear strut bar, 16-inch alloys, metal pedals, and colored rocker panels. The SS-II has climate control AC with digital display. Options included the choice of the Elegant Sports Version with front lip spoiler and headlight covers, or the Mechanical Sports Version with full body kits. The JDM Celica was updated with minor changes in August 2002.

Europe
All the European models have the 6-speed manual transmission, and was just marketed as 1.8 VVT-i and 1.8 VVTL-i 190 or T-Sport, which are the GT and GT-S, respectively.

In 2005, Toyota GB released the Celica GT. This is not the same as GT in North America. The British GT is actually the T-Sport with additional body kits and bigger alloys.

It is worth mentioning that Toyota also released a limited-production version of the 7th generation called the TRD Sports M. This version was rated at 200 hp (149 kW) and featured a reinforced unibody and available TRD engine and suspension components. The Sports M was not sold in America and was only sold in Japan.

In Australia, the Celica was only offered with 2ZZ-GE engine (with 4 wheel disc brakes) in two trim levels, SX and ZR. The SX was fitted with 15-inch alloy wheels CD player, electric windows and mirrors. The ZR has standard moonroof, SRS side and front airbags, fog lights, 16-inch alloy wheels, 6 stack in dash CD player (with tape deck) and aluminium pedals. Optional extras was the 4 speed tip tronic (Automatic), air conditioning and metallic paint. Satellite Navigation became available mid 2002 as an option. Sportivo body kits which is the same as Mechanical Sports Version in Japan, or Action Package in the USA are available. The Australian spec is also sold in New Zealand. Although not officially imported by Toyota, there are many JDM models sold in Singapore and Indonesia. In Thailand and Hong Kong, the Celica is offered in one trim level similar to Australian ZR with 2ZZ-GE engine.

Exporting of the Celica ceased in July 2005. However until mid-May, customers could still order one, although it was advised they took action before that time ended. Overseas, the Celica received a small restyling with new bumpers and headlamps, continuing its sales.

The last Celica was rolled off production line on April 21, 2006. In its last year, the Celica was only sold in Japan.
Back to top Go down
https://nacelicas.darkbb.com

7th Gen Info
Page 1 of 1